If ketamine is the right direction for you . . .
Once it is determined that you are a good candidate for ketamine infusion by a thorough evaluation and comprehensive screening, we will begin to get you ready for the treatments.
Leading up to the first infusion:
- During the days and weeks leading up to the first infusion, we will review, in detail, the infusion process with you.
- We prefer to include a family member or friend in this process (unless you prefer not to).
- We will review the informed consent for the infusion with you and answer all outstanding questions.
- Set up a schedule for a series of 6 infusions. Commitment to 6 infusions over a 3 week period is critical to the success of your treatment.
- Arrange for payment for the infusions.
- Determine if any of your current medications need to be held for a few days prior to infusion to ensure the best results.
- As part of your treatment, we will register you in our unique mood monitoring program that will work through your phone.
On the day of your infusion:
- We request that you stop eating and drinking 4 hours prior to your scheduled infusion.
- You may not consume any alcohol or use other recreational drugs up to 12 hours prior to you infusion.
- You will arrive 30-60 minutes prior to infusion.
- You must be accompanied by an adult who will drive you home.
- We will review the informed consent with you again prior to infusion and answer any outstanding questions.
- You will take a short screening test to establish your current cognitive and psychological parameters.
- You may choose to stop the infusion at any time before or during the infusion.
- You will be in a comfortable recliner in the infusion room.
- The room has a soothing atmosphere for your comfort.
- We will place vital monitors on you that will measure your blood pressure, oxygen level, and heart rhythm closely.
- An intravenous catheter will be placed in your arm.
- The infusion will begin and will last 40 minutes.
- You are closely monitored at all times.
- We will continue to monitor you after the infusion for 15-30 minutes prior to discharging you.
- We will confirm your appointment for your next infusion.
- You will be given written instructions.
After the infusion:
- We ask you not to make any important decision for 12 hours after your infusion.
- We ask that you don't drive for 12 hours after your infusion.
- You may eat a light meal immediately after your infusion.
- You will receive a phone call in the evening of your infusion to check on you.
- You will get daily mood monitoring texts to check your mood through our automated system.
Once the series of infusions are completed:
- We will continue to monitor your progress on a regular schedule.
- You will resume any medications that were discontinued during the infusions.
- Over time, maintenance infusions may be needed to maintain your sense of well-being.